Monday, May 23, 2016

Breakfast - Power Yogurt!

For around 400 calories you can have a simple to prepare and fulfilling breakfast!

I will share a new idea over the next week for you to consider, starting with my quickie option for work or on the go travel.  Here is all you need:

1. Greek yogurt.  I use either Chobani or Fage brand.  Only plain!  The ones with fruit on the bottom contain lots of unnecessary additives and sugar.  What I use has 1 ingredient: cultured pasteurized nonfat milk.  That is it, but it is nice to add some sweetness or else it kind of tastes like sour cream!  Which is why I have ingredient 2.

2. About 1 ounce of berries.  I rotate between blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries.  I put these in a ziploc bag (you will understand why in a moment).

3. 1/4 cup mixed nuts.  You can choose your favorite or a mix.  Personally, I love the variety of
Brazilian nuts, walnuts, pecans, cashews, almonds, and peanuts.  I am nuts about nuts!  I put these in a small container or ziploc bag.

4. 1/4 cup granola.  I would like to make my own one day but for now, I buy the Udi brand as they are gluten free and not too sweet.  There are only 3 ingredients in the simple Udi brand that I buy.  As a general rule of thumb, I try to consume products with 5 or less ingredients if I can.  I add the granola to the nuts.

I do measure my ingredients to make sure I am hitting the right portions for myself and hit the right split of carb/protein/fat.  If you don't want to stress yourself counting or measuring, don't worry about it!

Once I get to work, I first smash the heck out of my ziploc bag of berries.  I spoon the yogurt into a bowl and add the smashed berries.  You can really mix it up too, to get that sweetness all around.  Then I sprinkle the nuts and granola on top.  Voila!  Sometimes if I am starving and short on time I will eat this breakfast in phases: first the bag of nuts and granola and later the yogurt and fruit.  The key to me is to always match a protein with a carb.  I avoid having a carb by itself wherever possible.

This is the before picture.  I will prep up to 5 of these at a time for the week and stick them in a tupperware in the fridge, then pull out a set each day to put in my cooler to take to work.  They also can make a good lunch if you are on the go and do not have access to a microwave.  I have done that in a pinch as well.


Yogurt with smashed berries.
Adding the granola and nuts topping.
The final product!  I mix it in just enough!
I do not like soggy granola.

No comments:

Post a Comment