Friday, May 27, 2016

My Favorite Breakfast



This morning, I made my favorite breakfast.  Three (or four, if you choose) ingredients make up this ~400 calorie meal.  Sometimes I like to have it for dinner.  It is packed with protein and I find it to be very satisfying.  

I grab the following items: 
1. Four Eggs - I have bought many different kinds from the store - organic, store brand, brown, white.  But my absolute favorite are fresh eggs from a farm.  Now that the farmer's market is open, I go once or twice a week to buy eggs.  In the off season, I found some local chicken owners who I am hoping to buy from.
2. Two Slices Bread - there are so many on the market and always a struggle to understand which breads are really "healthy".  Just because they say gluten free does not mean that they don't contain added sugar. My favorite is sprouted bread.  The Ezekiel bread is a favorite of mine.  Below you can see a couple slices of sprouted bread from Aldi.  I don't eat a ton of bread during the week but this bread freezes well, and Ezekiel bread already comes frozen, so it is easy to maintain and use when needed.  Another favorite of mine are Amy's Organic Sandwich Rounds, which is pictured up above.
3. Avocado or Guacamole - it depends what I have on hand.  If I have a ripe avocado, awesome.  I will take 1/4 to 1/2 of it and chop and then smash it up for this recipe.  Otherwise, I like the 100 calorie guacamole packs.
4. Optional 4th ingredient: Salt and Pepper.  I used to season my eggs as part of this recipe, but have found that when I use the freshest eggs that there is no need to.
Here are my ingredients, staged for the recipe.

Here are the recipe steps:

1. Scramble 1 egg and 3 egg whites.  This is the combination that I like.  I like a soft scramble.  Sometimes if I want to change it up, I scramble 2 eggs, or I do 4 egg whites, or 2 eggs plus 2 egg whites.  Just depends on my mood.

This is what I call "soft scrambled".
2. Toast bread to your liking.  To me the better toasted the bread it, the better it will hold its toppings.
Another plug for sprouted bread.  Whole grain, high vitamin, and low glycemic, meaning it is easier to digest.

3. Spread smushed up avocado or guacamole on the bread.  
Sometimes just having avocado on bread is a great snack to enjoy as well.
4. Top the bread/avocado with egg.  You can season with salt and pepper at this point.  Enjoy!
The final product.



No comments:

Post a Comment