Saturday, June 18, 2016

Strawberry Banana Smoothie

I recently went strawberry picking.  In total, we picked about 15 quarts!  Therefore, I will be posting some strawberry recipes this week.

Some of the picks from this week.



I have a couple of kids who don't eat a lot of fruit and veggies, so having them come pick with me with their very own containers was Step 1.  It is THEIR fruit and having that ownership seems to make them more motivated to eat them.  

Step 2 is what to make with them.  I want to continue encouraging consumption of fruit, so asking for my kids involvement in recipes is great.   They are eating them as snacks but I had the idea to make smoothies with them based on my son's request.  It is a great option for breakfast for him, as he is not a big breakfast eater.

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups frozen strawberries - I hulled and diced the strawberries that we picked and then froze them overnight to make smoothies in the morning.
  • 1 ripe banana.  I chose a medium sized banana.
  • 1 cup milk - I used dairy free for my youngest.  I know others use almond milk, which I am sure would be great as well.
  • 1 tbsp honey.  Use if necessary to sweeten it up.  
Combine ingredients in a blender, and enjoy!

If you find it too thick, add more milk.
If it is too thin, add more fruit, or crushed ice.








No comments:

Post a Comment