Monday, August 1, 2016

Teriyaki Salmon


I did not intend to, but I went vegetarian on my trip to Maui.  Between sushi and seafood, I was loving my meals.  The seafood in Hawaii is so fresh.  I would see fishermen every day and restaurants would share which fishermen they use.  Talk about "farm to table" - this was "ocean to table"!

I have read that if you look at Americans' top protein sources, fish shows up 11th on the list.  Bread ranks 5th.  Yikes - Americans get more protein in their diets from bread than fish.  This makes me scratch my head, because I find seafood dishes to be so much more fulfilling, not to mention the health benefits to improve your vitality.

In Maui, my husband loved eating tuna and I enjoyed a lot of mahi mahi.  However, my favorite dish by far was at a local restaurant known for traditional Hawaiian plates.  I got the teriyaki salmon there and it was amazing.
My teriyaki salmon plate.
Yes, I take pictures of food in restaurants.
I am that girl.

I knew after I ate it, that I had to recreate it.  I searched Pinterest far and wide and I actually wound up completely using a recipe that I must give credit to.  Thank you to Cookin Canuck for this one which Dara calls Soy Honey Glazed Salmon!

What I love about this recipe is that there is honey in it, which adds some sweetness.  Also, the recipe only uses 6 ingredients, plus the salmon.  Finally, this recipe is super easy and tastes great.

I chose to serve my salmon on a bed of black and white quinoa and shredded cabbage with roasted broccoli and cauliflower.

My remake. Delicious!
Ingredients:
4 salmon fillets (we got wild caught for this dish)
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp soy sauce (I used low sodium)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp olive oil (I used sesame oil)
1 tsp ground ginger

Instructions:
1. Preheat the oven on broil.
2. Place salmon fillets on an aluminum lined baking sheet.
3. Whisk together the glaze ingredients.
4. Broil the fillets for 4 minutes.
5. Pull out the salmon and brush half of the glaze on to the fillets.
6. Return to broil and broil for about 3 more minutes.
7. Pull out salmon and microwave the remaining half of the glaze.
8. Brush the remaining half of the glaze on the salmon and serve.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment