Sunday, September 18, 2016

62 Calorie Crepes

I loved eating crepes at a coffeehouse in Maui that was owned by a woman from France.  I had two 12 mile run days when I was on vacation and those were the two days that I treated myself to a crepe.
Wonderful French crepe.
With chicken, tomato, and cheese.

I  started wondering why I didn't just make these myself.  I surfed around, talked to my mom, and came up with this recipe.

And now it has become a weekly tradition for me to make crepes at home.  The whole family loves it because everyone gets whatever filling they want!  I'll describe our combinations below.


I usually make a double batch, which fields us 17 crepes of about an 8" diameter.  This is a thicker crepe.  If you prefer a thinner one, go for it and use a larger pan.  I do make them larger for my husband as he likes them better that way - plus you can really stuff them good this way!


I always make the batter the night before.  It needs time to set.  It also simplifies your work the next day.


Ingredients:
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
2 eggs
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup water

Instructions:

1. Combine all ingredients into a bowl
2. Use a hand mixer to blend the ingredients until combined.
3. Leave in fridge for at least 2 hours.
4. Spray pan with non stick cooking spray.
5. Once warm, pour batter into pan.
6. Similar to pancakes, wait until bubbles form and use a spatula to flip over.
7. Transfer to plate and here is where the fun continues.  Fill and serve!

Here are some of our favorite combinations:


  • Cream cheese and strawberry jam.
  • Peanut butter and jelly.
  • Nutella and banana.
  • Nutella and strawberry.
  • Nutella!
  • Ham and mozzarella cheese with spinach and tomato.
  • Avocado and turkey with mozzarella cheese.
  • Chicken with mozzarella, tomato and spinach.
  • Chicken with mozzarella, tomato, spinach and avocado.
  • Turkey with roasted peppers.
  • Syrup.
  • By itself!
And for nutrition, this is low calorie goodness!  A low calorie treat?  Yes please.  62 calories per 8" crepe.

Nutrition Information:
Calories: 62
Fat: 1.6 g
Cholesterol: 46.8 mg
Sodium: 30.2 mg
Potassium: 23.2 mg
Carbs: 7.8 g
Fiber: 1.4 g
Sugars: 0.3 g
Protein: 3.3 g
Vitamin A: 2%
Vitamin C: 3.8%
Iron: 4.6%



Heating up right after pouring the batter.
Here is the heated side after flipping.
Ready for filling.
Here is a jam filled crepe.
Chicken, spinach, tomato, mozzarella, and avocado.
Chicken, spinach, mozzarella, and tomato.
How's that for a good forkful of food?
Dinner is served.
With Nutella for a sweet treat.
Ham, spinach, and mozzarella.



No comments:

Post a Comment