Friday, November 4, 2016

Chocolate Chunk Chickpea Blondies

I used to crave sweets.  I would scrounge in the pantry after dinner, looking for candy bars.  After changing my diet, my cravings have basically gone away and when I do eat the kind of sweets that I used to, I can't even handle it.  We got a caramel apple pie for my birthday and I had a huge slice.  At first it felt great but within minutes I felt sick to my stomach.  It is interesting how long it has taken me to get over the sugar cravings and now how easy it is to say no to all the Halloween candy that is getting passed around.  It feels quite liberating!

With that being said, it still is fun to have the kind of desserts that I enjoy.  They are flourless but they are still a treat to me.  The secret ingredient that I hide from the kids are...chickpeas.  Hello, protein.  These are great to travel with as well.  I like to toss them in a Ziplock and pack them in my luggage instead of a Lara bar.

Ingredients:
One 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup organic peanut butter
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
Chocolate chunks from 1/2 of a 1.55 oz. Hershey bar - feel free to add more :)

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Spray an 8X8 baking pan with cooking spray.
3. Use a food processor or a blender to add all ingredients except for the chocolate chunks.
4. Process until batter is smooth.
5. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
6. Spread batter into the prepared pan.  Pat it even.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes.  Edges will start to brown.
8. Cool pan on a wire rack.
This recipe yields 9 big blondies.

Nutrition information:
Calories: 264
Fat: 16.6 g
Carbs: 22.9 g
Protein: 9.5 g








No comments:

Post a Comment