Sunday, November 20, 2016

Healthy Sweet Potato Pecan Casserole

Thanksgiving is around the corner and I have started some cooking and baking in anticipation of this special holiday.  One area where I have been challenging myself is in taking recipes that I am used to dumping sugar and flour in and making them more healthy.

Every year for as far back as I can remember, I make my husband a dish that he likes to call "Yambo".  This recipe typically involved canned yams, butter, white and brown sugar, and flour.  

So I have been torn this year.  I want to make my husband this dish that he looks forward to every year, but I wanted to make it more fresh and more healthy.  And thus I can up with this healthier version of Yambo!

I have to say that I was very happy with this recipe.  My husband finished his plate and seems to have accepted this healthier version.  Yay!  Using fresh sweet potatoes really makes a difference.  I really enjoyed the taste and it was better than something out of a package or at a restaurant.  I personally can live without the optional step listed below, but my husband cannot.  Thus there is a "patch" of the sweet potato casserole where I did not drizzle anything - that is my little piece of the casserole!

Ingredients:
3 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/3 cup butter
1 tbsp milk
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 and 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 and 1/2 cup pecans
Optional: maple syrup

Instructions:
1. Boil sweet potatoes for about 20 minutes or until tender.  Drain.
2. Return potatoes to the pot.  Add butter and milk.  Beat with immersion blender.
3. Add salts, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla.  Beat again.
4. Spray an 8" X 11" pan.  Sprinkle 3/4 cup pecans on the bottom.
5. Spoon the sweet potato mix on top
6. Sprinkle the top with the remaining pecans.
7. Optional step: Sprinkle the top with remaining pecans and dust with additional cinnamon, if desired.
8. Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes.

Good presentation for your Thanksgiving dinner
A close up of my husband's maple syrup drizzled side
Served alongside some roasted broccoli

No comments:

Post a Comment