Winter is here and with cold weekends, it feels good to warm up with a warm bowl of soup.
I have been experimenting with vegetable soup recipes. I also just had a week where I had some broccoli and carrots that I wanted to do something with. Along comes broccoli carrot soup!
This is a great low calorie meal with lots of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and iron. The beans add a fiber boost.
20 oz. chopped broccoli
9 oz. chopped carrots
3 stalks chopped celery (about 1 cup)
1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 medium visalia onion
1 leek, chopped
4 cups vegetable broth
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
3 tsp mined garlic
1. In a stockpot or Dutch oven on medium heat, sauté minced garlic, leek, and onion. You may add olive oil here but I usually just add some of the vegetable broth at this step to help with the sauté.
2. After a few minutes, add the celery and continue to sauté for a few more minutes.
3. Add the carrots and broccoli. Continue to sauté for several minutes.
4. Season with cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder. Mix in seasoning.
5. Add the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer.
6. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
7. Check taste and consistency. You choose how soft you would like to get the vegetables. I like them soft so I usually cook another 15 minutes.
8. If you would like, you can use an immersion blender to puree the vegetables to your desired consistency. This is why I like those veggies soft!
9. Add pinto beans and stir. Heat an additional 5 minutes to warm up the beans.
10. Eat and enjoy.
Nutrition Information (per cup):
Fat: 5.3 g
Carbs: 26.7 g
Protein: 7 g