Monday, January 9, 2017

Fudgy Avocado Brownies



All right, Facebook and Pinterest tempted me over and over again and I had to try and make avocado brownies.

They came out very fudgy, which I loved.  My husband prefers them cake like, so he was not as excited.  He also thought it should be sweeter.  Meanwhile, my son thought it was too sweet.  I thought it was just right.  So you will just have to try to make it and see what happens!

Pro tip: don't tell anyone that you put an avocado in your brownies - chances are, they will not be willing to eat them.  After the fact, I did reveal my secret ingredient to my husband.  At least he was surprised, and even commented that he could not taste the avocado at all.  However, I don't think he is going to let me experiment on him again.  Oh well, next time I guess I will just have to keep all the brownies to myself...darn... :)

Another pro tip: don't substitute out the coconut flour.  It is designed to absorb and other flours won't perform the same function.  You will be very, very sad.  You should be able to find coconut flour at your local health foods store.  It is quickly becoming my favorite flour ever.  I hope you enjoy it too.

Nutrition info is at the bottom of this page - you save a ton of calories by not using butter or oil!

Ingredients:
1 ripe avocado, small 
3 eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 to 1/2 cup cocoa (I used 1/4 cup due to the very rich cocoa I had)
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F.  Spray an 8X8 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Combine the avocado, applesauce, syrup, and vanilla in either a food processor or blender.  Blend until smooth.  Make sure there are no chunks of avocado in there.  
3. Whisk the eggs in a large bowl.  Pour contents of the mixture from #2 into the bowl.
4. Mix it all together and pour in to the 8X8 pan.
5. Bake for about 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

After baking, I let them cool before eating and I stored them in the fridge.  I found them even tastier when cooled.  They also tasted even better the days after baking.  
Before baking.
I used a very rich cocoa that I got.
Yours may look lighter.
Just for reference - here is what it looks like with a lighter cocoa!

Back to the dark cocoa.
Here is the finished product.
Another angle.

Fork view.
Nutrition Information (9 servings, info per serving using 1/4 cup cocoa):
Calories: 123
Fat: 4.2g
Carbs: 18.1g
Protein: 3.7g

No comments:

Post a Comment