I have been experimenting with different types of flour, and I especially am enjoying almond and coconut flour. They are both awesome! They are grain free, low carb, and very satisfying.
One of my most favorite products are Amy's Organic Sandwich rounds. They are gluten free, low carb, and tasty. However, they are quite pricey at about $8 for a pack of 8 rounds. I have been trying to create a healthy and cheaper alternative and though this recipe does not exactly recreate the rounds, it meets my desire to have something with my morning breakfast.
The basics that you need for this recipe is a microwave, a toaster oven, and a small dish with a flat bottom. Mine is a Corningware dish that measures about 4"X8".
There are versions of this recipe out there that use whole eggs and butter. Feel free to substitute for more taste. I preferred to lighten it up and so I use applesauce instead of butter and egg whites instead of one whole egg.
1 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
2 egg whites
1/2 tbsp coconut flour
3 tbsp almond flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 pinch salt
1. Spray a flat rimmed dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Either in this dish or in a separate bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well. I usually use a bowl and then pour the batter in to the dish.
3. Microwave for 90 seconds.
4. Carefully remove with oven mitts and let the muffin cool slightly.
5. Slice in half and place into toaster oven for a crispy treat!
|This is what it looks like after microwaving.|
You could eat it as is, but toasted is oh so yummy.
|You get a lot of muffin for under 200 calories.|
|Close up view of the yumminess.|
Fat: 11.1 g
Carbs: 8.6 g
Protein: 12.2 g