Monday, January 16, 2017

Salsa Chicken and Broccoli Lunch Meal Prep

Sunday was another meal prep day for me.  I ran out of time to post anything about it but today, after lunch, I knew I had to share this recipe because it was so darn good!

Instructions are for 4 meals.  I apologize for only showing 3 in the picture.  One walked away.  ;)

This is a lazy prep meal, where I used the microwave a lot and tossed some chicken in the oven.  But that is what I like about it.  It is easy and now I don't need to worry about lunch for the week.

Ingredients:
1. Two bags (12 oz each) broccoli florets
2. Two bags of ready to serve rice - I prefer whole grain or sometimes a quinoa blend.  We are talking about those microwaveable bags that you peel and nuke.
3. 20 ounces chicken (or 4 chicken breasts)
4. One jar salsa - read your labels - I always choose an organic brand that does not have sugar - many salsas do have sugar in them
5. Salt and pepper

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.  Spray a 9X13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place chicken in baking dish.  If you are an engineer like me, you can weigh your chicken by 5 oz portions, or you can chill out and just lay down the chicken in the pan.
3. Season chicken to your liking - I have salt and pepper in the ingredients list but you can use chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, or whatever you like best on your chicken.
4. Place chicken in oven for approximately 25 minutes, depending on how thinly cut your meat is.  I usually have mine cut up going in to the oven so that it is easy to eat in my lunch.  But you can also cut it later very easily.
5. While chicken is baking, microwave the broccoli and rice.  It likely is only 2 minutes to microwave each bag of broccoli.  And 1-2 minutes for each bag of rice.
6. Set out your 4 lunch containers for the week.  In each container, lay down half a bag of rice from each bag.  This is about a cup of rice.  Then lay down half a bag of broccoli.  This should be about 1.5 cups of broccoli.
7. Once the chicken is out of the oven and cooled, you can then layer it on top of the broccoli and rice in each container.  So each container has 1 chicken breast or 5 ounces of chicken.  At this step, you can cut up the chicken if you had baked it whole.
8. Spoon 4 tablespoons of salsa on top of each chicken.  And you are done!

Nutrition info for my mix is at the bottom of this page.  You can always add on to jazz this up with some onions or some cheese.  You could eliminate the rice to take out about 22 g of carbs.  
Staged containers
Close up view

This was what lunch looked like today.
I got to be home so I was able to plate it fancy ;)

I am a huge fan of microwaving broccoli.
Some weeks, I just don't feel like chopping up anything.

These are examples of the rice that I like.
I used the Mediterranean feta this week.
Most portions average about 120-170 calories per cup.
Nutrition info (per lunch):
Calories: 338
Carbs: 35 g
Protein: 39.9 g
Fat: 4 g

No comments:

Post a Comment