Make it a meatless Taco Tuesday this week! I was looking for a light dinner after a day that I knew we were having a heavy lunch. I figured that it would be a good night to experiment. Lo and behold, I found a real keeper in this recipe that I adapted from Eating Well magazine.
1/4 cup lime juice (squeezed from about 2 limes)
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp cumin
Sprinkle of oregano
2 cloves garlic
Sprinkle of salt
1 small chipotle dried chili (adjust to taste)
1 tbsp honey
The rest -
1 small head of cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 red onion, sliced
15-oz can refried black beans, warmed
Corn tortillas and/or tortilla chips
For serving: sliced red cabbage, chopped lettuce, guacamole, lime wedges, sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt)
1. Preheat oven to 450 F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Combine all sauce ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Add chilis to taste as desired during this step. I listed one small, as that is all I can handle!
3. Place cauliflower and sliced onions in a large bowl. Pour sauce on and toss to coat. Transfer to the baking sheet.
4. Roast for 20-25 minutes, stirring once at the halfway point. It is done when the cauliflower is tender and browned in spots.
5. Serve! You can use tortillas, tortilla chips, or even on top of a bed of lettuce. The refried beans give a great complement to the zesty cauliflower/onion mix. Feel free to add additional garnishes as desired.
Nutrition Info (makes 4 tacos, facts are for 2 tacos):
Fat: 7 g
Carbs: 48 g
Fiber: 11 g
|Tossing to coat before roasting|
|In the pan, before roasting|
In a whole wheat soft tortilla
|Another view, just before eating|
|Here is an open serving, on top of lettuce|