Sunday, June 18, 2017

Homemade Lara Bars


I have a goal to make snacks where I do not have to add honey or maple syrup.  Sure, you can argue that they are healthier than straight up sugar, but I was challenged by my husband as to how much healthier are they?  I decided that I was up the challenge and found a super easy recipe for homemade Lara Bars.  I am currently out of country traveling for business and I wrapped up 6 of these in parchment paper for the road.  They made it in my suitcase, no problem!  This recipe only requires 3 ingredients and a food processor or blender.  I use my Ninja blender and these bars come together in a flash.  I personally think these taste better than the store bought Lara bars, the nutritional profile is about the same, and I am guessing that they are cheaper though I have not worked the math on that yet. 

No maple syrup and no honey - so what the sweetener/binder?  It is...dates!

Dates are natural - yes, they have sugar but a low glycemic index...so you don't get that sugar high followed by a crash.  I love eating these before a workout.  They are great for fueling a long run.

And...no baking required.  Another great time saver!

Ingredients:
10 Medjool dates, pits removed
1 cup nuts (I like to use mixed nuts)
1/4 cup raisin

Instructions:
1. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
2. Combine ingredients in food processor or blender.  Work that mix until it gels together.  It will be thick.
3. Spoon mixture into loaf pan.  Flatten and place in fridge for 30 minutes or freezer for 15 minutes.
4. Remove and cut into squares.  You can keep these at room temperature or in the fridge, depending on how you like them.  At room temp, they are a bit more gooey but they hold up well.

Nutrition Info (makes 8 bars):
Calories: 190
Fat: 7 g
Carbs: 30.4 g
Protein: 3.4 g

N

No comments:

Post a Comment