Friday, July 21, 2017

Power Blueberry Muffins

It is blueberry season in Michigan, and one of my most favorite summer hobbies is to go blueberry picking with the kids.  There is something so relaxing about standing at a bush and picking berries.  It also brings me back some great memories of blueberry picking as a child, so there is the nostalgia factor.  I think picking them makes me feel like I am in a zen garden of sorts.  
In my zen!  Oh, and GO BLUE!

The kids each have their own personal container that they get to take home and do what they want with.  Courtney likes to make blueberry pie.  Katie likes to eat them straight up.  Sawyer likes to bake blueberry muffins, and so do I.  The difference between my recipe and his is that I like to get some protein in my muffins.  I do track my macros and one area I have to really work on is to maintain enough protein so that I have energy and also so that I can keep building these muscles that I am trying to grow!  In that spirit, I am using protein powders more often in my recipes.    This recipe also incorporates egg whites and greek yogurt, which gives you even more protein!

Blueberries and protein?  BAM!
This muffin is not super sweet, but if you care to you can add stevia as an option.  If you don’t want to use stevia, you could substitute a tablespoon of honey.  

I like these muffins either cool straight from the fridge, or toasted where they are crunch on top!  I usually eat two at a time, either after a workout or as a snack.

Ingredients:
5 egg whites
¾ cup oat flour
½ cup non fat plain greek yogurt
2 scoops vanilla protein powder (I use Shakeology)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup blueberries 
¼ cup stevia (optional)

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease a muffin tin (I use cooking spray).
2. Mix all ingredients except blueberries together.
3. Gently fold in the blueberries.
4. Fill the muffin tins about 2/3 of the way each – you should be able to fill 12 in total.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes.

Nutrition Information per muffin, not including stevia and using Shakeology:
Calories: 70
Fat: 1 g
Carbs: 8 g
Protein: 6.2 g

Enjoy!!!

Yummy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment